Winter Throwing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

If anyone has problems with the registration process or activation after the registration, please use "The Ring" chat function or use our contact form (check link on the bottom left).

Throwholics gently suggests folks use their real name rather than an anonymous handle. People like to know who they're talking to. But either works. Also, you can use spaces for your username.

• A few things that have been key for me to throw hammer outside in as cold as -30C.
      • a warm place to warm up before getting out in the cold
      • lots of layers that allow me to move well (have actually found for those really cold days that good old cotton sweat pants, with a tight under them are warmer than an expensive highly technical wind/fleece lining pant.
      • A warm headband and merino wool neck warm
      • A warm mit for my right hand.
      • XL rubber boots that I can wear with my throwing shoes. Throwing is much more pleasant when you feet aren't frozen!
      • A dry circle, otherwise LOTS of hot water.
      • A coach who is willing to snow plow the field.
      • On really cold days, we warm up part way through workout indoors.
      I never thought it would be effective to train outdoors in -30C, but it is, and we are able to get some great work done. A good mindset is important, I know know I have to get the workout done, and I have no other place to do it, so I make it a great workout, because I can :)

I was surprised to not feel physically much different in -30C vs. 0C. Wind makes more of a difference in feeling than temperature. I have had days at +3C but very windy and I feel colder and stiffer than days at -30C.
    • A few weeks ago at Training Sunday morning it was so cold on the way to Training I got a Firepit! It was super to say the least as a Coach standing in the cold for 3-4 Hours your feet & Hands get so cold! The small fire made all the difference. Also with my Students when they went out to get the Hammers before they threw they would stand close to the Firepit it helped big time! As we dream of beating guys from warmer parts of the World :)
    • I live in Canada so there's a lot of snow in the winter and really cold temperatures anywhere from 0 to -30C. I have my own system for winter throwing. I use a tarp shelter to cover my circles and keep snow off them and then I have a propane heater to keep the implements warm. It works!
      Images
      • Screen shot 2014-01-18 at 8.23.50 PM.jpg

59.19 kB, 738×414, viewed 161 times
    • Megann Rodhe wrote:

A few things that have been key for me to throw hammer outside in as cold as -30C.

I never thought it would be effective to train outdoors in -30C, but it is, and we are able to get some great work done. A good mindset is important, I know know I have to get the workout done, and I have no other place to do it, so I make it a great workout, because I can :)

I was surprised to not feel physically much different in -30C vs. 0C. Wind makes more of a difference in feeling than temperature. I have had days at +3C but very windy and I feel colder and stiffer than days at -30C.

@Megann Rodhe what altitude are you training at @eveltrak ?
    • Some ideas for winter Throwing
      (1) UnderArmour lots of layers and a Hat
      (2) Plastic Bags over your socks keeps your feet dry & slightly warmer as your shoes get wet from the snow
      (3) 1st Day Dig up all around the circle & standing area. Then dig a straight line out to 70m this will be the path you will walk back and forth thru. This can take a long time usually if I am coaching 7-8 kids I tell them to bring snow shovels and the it takes 10minutes and a good physical warm up.
      (4) Put bright construction marker string on the Hammer handle so you can find the Ball in the Snow.
      (5) Throw as Many Hammer as possible e.g 6 Hammers working on form then 5 times going out to collect = 30 Throws. This saves time as the longer your outside the colder you get.
      (6) Throw Table salt instead of rock salt on the circle as the circle will feel a lot smoother to work off of.
      (7) Drink hot tea/coffee in a flask as cold water outside will get you sick real easy
      (8) When done put a tarp over the circle. If you have rocks put then in the corners of the tarp
      (9) A small fire pit is a good investment