Wraps, Straps, Belts, etc. When Lifting

• Equipment

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

If anyone has problems with the registration process or activation after the registration, please use "The Ring" chat function or use our contact form (check link on the bottom left).

Throwholics gently suggests folks use their real name rather than an anonymous handle. People like to know who they're talking to. But either works. Also, you can use spaces for your username.

• Here is my $.02 - For support devices, I want to use the same in the gym that I do in the ring. Because I do not use wraps or a belt while throwing, I do not use them in the gym.
      Straps I do use in the gym because they can help me replicate the feeling in my arms and hands while throwing(hammer). I think too much grip/forearm work can be a negative influence on hammer throwing.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nick White ().

• Do I use wraps, straps and belts in the gym? Yes. The reason for that is because we are throwers not power lifters, not olympic lifters and not bodybuilders. Our main focus is throwing and lifting comes after that. Granted many throwers are super strong but with the addition of wraps, straps and belts is a good protective measure to avoid injuries in the weight room.

If you listen to a lot of power lifters a lot of them will say that it's better to protect yourself in the weight room then lose a week or more from a injury that could have been easily prevented.
    • The following statements are for Shot Put Training.

I had some tendonitis in my wrist in 2012 and since then I use a wrist wrap for any loaded upper body pressing in the weight room. I also use straps for snatches and cleans almost religiously. My load is not very heavy, usually 60-100kg but bc my right hand can get very swollen and tight from throwing, I would prefer to not reinforce that tightness by death gripping the bar. I stopped using a belt in 2003.
    • Justin RODHE wrote:

The following statements are for Shot Put Training.

I had some tendonitis in my wrist in 2012 and since then I use a wrist wrap for any loaded upper body pressing in the weight room. I also use straps for snatches and cleans almost religiously. My load is not very heavy, usually 60-100kg but bc my right hand can get very swollen and tight from throwing, I would prefer to not reinforce that tightness by death gripping the bar. I stopped using a belt in 2003.

Did you also stop using a belt for squats?
      You would know better than me obviously but I'm with @Matt Marcoccia on this and do not want to have a possible injury...
      But this could obviously happen with those equipments as well.

Phil Bilkins wrote:

I would always use what allows me to work the muscle group I'm trying to work. When doing cleans I do not want to limit my load by my grip strength.

i think the same. especially when you would do dead lifts... my hand is no strong enough to lift the bar at a certain weight. with the help of thos strips i can do probably 40-50kg more easily...