Justin Rodhe (Canada) | news and notes

• Shot Put
    • Olympics
    • News

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

If anyone has problems with the registration process or activation after the registration, please use "The Ring" chat function or use our contact form (check link on the bottom left).

Throwholics gently suggests folks use their real name rather than an anonymous handle. People like to know who they're talking to. But either works. Also, you can use spaces for your username.

• @Justin RODHE what are you currently coming back from? Same as before?

Justin RODHE wrote:

@Dirk Walsh a year ago, in mid March 2013, I suffered a traumatic pain to left lower abdominal area that resonated down my left inner thigh during the finish of a training throw. The injury presented as a pulled or slightly torn muscle. I had experienced similar setbacks in previous seasons and had always been better 4-6 weeks later with a modified training schedule and load. I continued training and competing for 2 months until in the cold weather of the New York Diamond League meet, scar tissue in the area finally pinched a nerve. At this point I knew it was not a muscle strain and went in for an MRI. MRI results showed a 2cm anomaly at the adductor tendon attachment to pelvis. It is suspected that the tendon partially tore from the bone and in subsequent weeks of training and competitions copious amount of scar tissue had settled into the area and supporting systems of my body.
    • Odysseus wrote:

Hey Justin, did have a question about your initial drop using the theraband: was this just to maintain tension/build strength in your adductors/gracilis following the surgery? Bc I was thinking this may, in fact, provide a two-fold benefit... While it strengthens those adductors(for your rehab), it is also promoting initial kick height, follow-through, and balance during the initial drive.

Firstly, I didn't have surgery, only lots of deep tissue massage, prolo therapy injections and IMS. At the peak of my injury I could not walk up stairs or get out of a car so I found many weaknesses when starting to throw again. The first issue to fix was my entry. The left adductor was unable to maintain tension during single support stage. This was particularly an issue when trying to work around the left leg instead of just falling into the center. In working this exercise I found it to also promote whole body stability on the entry but I would not suggest a strong translation for "kick height" if you happen to use that type of technique. Thank you for the inquiry.

Dirk Walsh wrote:

Auton Bullips wrote:

Dirk Walsh wrote:

I hope we see @Justin RODHE in an Irish headband soon. Maybe at the Commonwealth Games?
      I think that Athletics Canada would not like that.
      Right, right, right, I was just kidding :D I'm not so good with using these emoticons.

Amy Larson wrote:

Odysseus wrote:

This is back at Amy Larson: Amy, who works with who, who's in what training group...why should that matter to anyone?

As a fan we like to know what is going on with the athletes we follow. One of the problems with our sport is the lack of information causes fans to lose interest. Who follows something when there is nothing to follow?

Odysseus wrote:

This is back at Amy Larson: Amy, who works with who, who's in what training group...why should that matter to anyone?
      As a thrower I find it interesting who is working with how. When you hear of a man with small stature like @Justin RODHE advising a massive human like Cantwell you wonder how the dynamics play out, how training schedules are changed.

Odysseus wrote:

I don't like the world and random people knowing every little step I take and absolutely everybody involved in my own training. Remember, these are people, too. Think if the role was reversed.
      I do not think a major coaching change would be considered a "... little step..." but something that could have major implications. If it is true at Rodhe is now advising Cantwell, and it is true that Cantwell produced a training throw of 23m+, and if these two things combine to result in a new world record--then I would want to know and our sport has a duty to it's supports.

Thanks for question(s).

It is no secret, at least anymore, that Christian and I are working together. We are applying my knowledge of periodization and specific exercise application to his regime. Christian is an incredible talent in the shot put, arguably the best in history. It would be presumptuous for me to claim his 2014 results only possible because of me. The results we are seeing are encouraging and it will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Auton Bullips wrote:

@Justin RODHE what did you think of your throwing in the Tucson meets?

I was greatly disappointed with the results. I was trying to throw A standard (20.60) and wanted that or nothing. Meaning, I was prepared to foul every throw out the front in attempt to throw far enough. The problem, was that I COULDNT foul a single throw out the front. I ran into a problem with my adductor being too tight and not taking the force load at finish of throw. In video, one can see my left leg straightening and my body falling back on every single release. This was a auto nervous response and I couldn't fix it. I struggled a few more weeks back at home and just a few days ago made some progress with this regard. Weakness in the body hides itself until a condition level is achieved to exploit it. This was the case when my overall condition increased to over 20.25m. I have recently had training results very near lifetime bests and this caused some things to lock up, specifically my glute medius. I am working with my medical team to keep this unlocked which should translate into good results.
    • Jackson Bushop wrote:

@Justin RODHE great video. It's nice to see some training throws as well.

Amy Larson wrote:

@Justin RODHE would you be able to share some video of your training. Esp some of the throwing exercises you are currently performing?

The videos are made possible by my sponsor Garage Strength, be sure to visit Dane Miller's youtube page GarageStrength - YouTube
      More videos are on their way though it may help if you send some "fan mail" to Dane requesting more timely turn arounds :D. Dane has a great business growing in Reading, PA and his endeavours are worth the throws community interests.
    • Justin RODHE wrote:

It is no secret, at least anymore, that Christian and I are working together. We are applying my knowledge of periodization and specific exercise application to his regime. Christian is an incredible talent in the shot put, arguably the best in history. It would be presumptuous for me to claim his 2014 results only possible because of me. The results we are seeing are encouraging and it will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Revealing excellent. On wonders aloud if you and he will have medals from Rio. I hope then yours is a bit shinier than his :)
    • Not bad...
      2014 Harry Jerome Track Classic - 7/10/2014
      Burnaby

Event 31 Men Shot Put BC ATLETICS
      =======================================================================
      Name Year Team Finals Points
      =======================================================================
      Finals
      1 Tim Nedow 90 Canada 20.45m
      2 Jordan Clarke 90 United States 20.20m
      3 Justin Rodhe 84 Canada 19.44m
      4 Ming-Huang Chang 82 Chinese Taipei 19.40m